Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel | Category: Conservation – Private home | Size: 900SQM | Status: Completed 1994
Built a private villa in 1930 and expanded in 1936, this listed building was designed by the Bauhaus trained architect Richard Kaufman. The underlying theme behind the renovation of the building was sensitivity, of being true to the spirit rather than any notions of conservation or preservation. A tendency towards minimalism is tempered by the introduction of very specific detailing that reflects the particular attributes of the building. The project required the re-incorporation of several apartments and office spaces into a single family home and the introduction of an elevator within the center of the building. Programmatically, the aim was to strengthen the visual connection and flow between the six existing levels and enabling the exhibiting of Israeli works of Art throughout the house. Upon completion, it was selected as the “most beautiful listed building in Tel-Aviv” by Tel-Aviv University and attained 2nd place by a committee of the Municipality of Tel-Aviv.
This post is also available in: Hebrew